The DStv Content Creator Awards hosted the first of its Kasi Marketing Lab Series in Khayelitsha yesterday, Monday 23 May. Hosted by energetic MC, Smash Afrika, the energy in the room was incredible, with emerging marketers and creators from all over the Western Cape all hungry to learn from the expert speakers.
The morning commenced with an introduction into the DStv Content Creator Awards by its CEO Manuela Dias de Deus, who, together with Khayelitsha businessman Luvuyo Rani, spearheaded this skill sharing day, which was aimed at helping emerging creators and marketers explore content creation as a career.
The speakers covered all bases, from creative storytelling, to how to create and shoot great content, marketing and PRing yourself, influencer relations 101 and how to use TikTok to drive your growth as a digital creator.
‘There are so many brilliant creatives out there, they make us laugh, they enrich our lives, and we’re here to shine a spotlight on them and celebrate them’, comments Manuela Dias de Deus. ‘We don’t want to just recognise existing talent though, we want to discover new, emerging talent, so we’ve created an award especially for up-and-coming creators; the Kasi Content Creator Award.’
At the Kasi Marketing Lab, those attending in person and watching via TikTok Live, were giving the entry brief for the Kasi Content Creator Award. Here it is for those who missed it:
Entry Brief: What about your Kasi inspires you? What Kasi stories do you want to tell? #KasiCreators, now’s your moment!
Create an inspiring piece of content that tells the story of your Kasi. The content that you create should be exceptional, unique to you and inspire others to watch. Go to www.contentcreatorsawards.co.za for the details.
Aspiring creators from across the country were treated to inspiring and motivational guest speakers, all specialists within their fields, for the six-hour session. Some of the panellists sharing their insights included:
- Overcoming the roadblocks facing township entrepreneurs: Luvuyo Rani, CEO, and co-founder of Silulo Technologies.
- The power of storytelling in content creation: Thabisa Mkhwanazi, Executive Head of Marketing, Multichoice SA.
- Multichoice Talent Factory: Mphile Shabalala & Smash Afrika.
- How to create amazing content: Content creators, Omar Morto and Moghelingz.
- How to Market and PR Yourself: Bukelwa Monqo, Director at Atmosphere Communications.
- Coming up with the Big Idea: Cameron Naidoo, Chief Rule Breaker of Guerilla Africa.
- Influencer Marketing: Data and Tools. Brett Solomon, Chief of Brand at Humanz.
- Influencer Relations 101: Natasha Goosen, Kwazi Ngubane and Darren Sandras, One-eyed Jack.
- How to use TikTok to drive your growth as a digital creator: Carla Harris, Partnerships Lead, TikTok South Africa.
Recognising that content creators are entrepreneurs, Entrepreneurs Organization Cape Town has sponsored business mentorships to the value of R20,000. To apply, email [email protected].
Entries for the upcoming inaugural DStv Content Creator Awards close on 12 June. To enter one of the 22 categories, creators need to register at www.contentcreatorawards.co.za.