Fitbit has announced the launch of Fitbit Versa 2, the next generation of its best-selling smartwatch, Fitbit Versa. Versa 2 delivers a new precision-crafted swimproof design, includes innovative sleep features like Sleep Score and smart wake, and is packed with even more advanced health, fitness and smart features to elevate every moment. For next-level convenience, Versa 2 debuts an on-device microphone, which enables voice to text, along with a Spotify app that allows users to control their music and podcasts, and Fitbit Pay Coupled with even faster performance, thousands of apps and clock faces and a brighter, crisper display with an optional always-on mode Versa 2 is your 24/7 health and wellness companion – now with 5+ days battery life.
“At Fitbit, we believe that health belongs to everyone and that people should not be priced out of having access to devices and features that can help them improve their health. That’s why we’ve designed Versa 2 to be a premium, full-featured and easy-to-use smartwatch at an accessible price point,” said James Park, co-founder and CEO of Fitbit. “Building on the success of our original best-selling Versa smartwatch, we believe the added value and innovation in Versa 2, with new features like, a Spotify app and advanced in-app and on-device sleep features, will bring more users into the smartwatch category, allowing them to unlock the benefits of better health.”
Better sleep for better, more active days
Sleep is critical to maintaining overall health and wellness, and when surveyed by Fitbit nearly two-thirds (64%) of participants list sleep as a very important health and fitness priority, but South Africans need more sleep. Fitbit pioneered wearable sleep tracking more than 10 years ago, making information previously only available from a medical professional, widely accessible on the wrist. As a leader in tracked sleep, we have applied learnings from more than 10.5 billion nights of sleep tracked to innovate in this critical area of health, and the latest sleep features will not only help you better understand your sleep, but provide the features to help you improve it:
- Sleep Score:Receive a nightly score within the Fitbit app for better insight into your sleep quality. Your score is based on heart rate (sleeping and resting), restlessness, time awake and Sleep Stages.
- Smart wake: Coming soon to all Fitbit smartwatches, smart wake uses machine learning to wake you during an optimal time of your sleep cycle, while in light or REM sleep, based on a pre-selected 30-minute interval, so you wake up feeling more refreshed.
- Sleep Mode:[xiii] Simultaneously disable your screen display and silence notifications for a night free of disturbances. Sleep Mode can also be used anytime you don’t want to be interrupted, like during a workout or in a meeting.
- Estimated Oxygen Variation Graph: Coming soon, this graph will provide users with an estimate of the variability of oxygen levels in their bloodstream. The data is derived from a combination of the red and infrared sensors on the back of your device. Being aware of short term variations in the oxygen levels in your bloodstream may indicate variations in your breathing during sleep.
In addition to helping millions around the world better understand and improve their sleep, Fitbit continues to deliver the advanced health and fitness features that our users know and love. On Versa 2, these include: automatic activity tracking, PurePulse 24/7 heart rate tracking, 15+ goal-based exercise modes, connected GPS and water resistant up to 50 meters.
Added convenience and smart features to amplify your day
Versa 2 comes with even more features to add convenience and ease to your day, like Fitbit Pay, so you can make easy and secure wallet -free payments at retailers with contactless payment functionalities.
Fitbit is also bringing the Spotify app experience to Versa 2, allowing Spotify Premium subscribers to control music and podcasts so you can find all-day motivation directly from your wrist. The Spotify app lets you control playback on-the-go, change playlists, like songs, and easily switch music output without skipping a beat. The ability to control Spotify adds even more music functionality to Fitbit for you to listen to your music for motivation. Additionally, Versa 2 has the ability to store and play 300+ songs from your personal music library and add Deezer playlists.
To help simplify your life, Versa 2 offers all the essential smart features like smartphone notifications so you can view app, call, calendar and text notifications right from your wrist. If you have an Android phone, you can also use the new on-device microphone to reply to texts and notifications from the wrist. Plus, you can also choose from nearly 3,000 apps and clock faces to personalise the stats you see and access the apps you need so everything is in one place.
Faster performance, elevated design
Now packed with more advanced features, Versa 2 is also powered by a faster processor compared to Versa for better performance and seamless navigation. Plus, a larger AMOLED display delivers a superior experience with boosted viewability and crisper colour, and enables an optional always-on display mode, which boasts a 2+ days battery life so you can easily check the time and see your stats during a workout without lifting your wrist or pressing a button.
Versa 2 is Fitbit’s most premium, modern smartwatch design yet. It is precision-crafted with subtle material, finish and form updates, giving the smartwatch an elevated, yet universal appeal. The watch is durable and water resistant up to 50 meters, yet lightweight and comfortable enough to wear all day and night with rounded edges and a curved case. An anodized aluminum finish in a natural colour palette gives a sophisticated, modern aesthetic to compliment any style or look and with the simplified one-button design, Versa 2 has a sleek silhouette reminiscent of a classic timepiece.
Applying design to style, Versa 2 Special Edition features a premium jacquard woven band in navy and pink with a copper rose aluminum case or smoke with a mist grey case, plus a contemporary colour-matched classic silicone band in navy and olive, respectively, for two chic styles in one.
Accessories designed for every occasion
To complement its enhanced design, Versa 2 offers a wide variety of new accessories for work, play and working out, all of which are compatible across the entire Versa family. Featuring new colours, materials, and styles, the lineup offers an array of options for any lifestyle or activity:
- Classic bands: Stain-resistant, comfortable, soft and waterproof, classic silicone bands are available in new colours, including black, petal, stone, midnight blue and olive.
- Sport-inspired: Designed for all types of workouts or a sportier look, the Versa family’s first sport bands are perforated for added breathability, available in navy, black, glacier, frost white and coral, in the same stain-resistant, comfortable silicone as the classic bands.
- Athleisure -centric: Woven bands made from recycled materials flaunt a reflective stripe and come in on-trend colour combinations, like charcoal with an orange stripe, pink on pink stripe, and navy on navy stripe.
- Fashionable leather and suede: Premium Horween leather perforated bands in charcoal and moss suede, add an elegance to any look, whether at the office or a night out.
Pricing and availability
Versa 2 will be available for a RRP of R3,999 in black with a carbon case, petal with a copper rose aluminum case, and stone with a mist grey case; accessories will be available from select local retailers. Versa 2 Special Edition will be available for a RRP of R4,999 in navy and pink with a copper rose aluminum case and smoke with a mist grey case.
Versa 2 will be available in stores mid-October from select local retailers.
Today, Fitbit also announced Fitbit Premium, a paid subscription service in the Fitbit app that takes your unique data to deliver Fitbit’s most personalised experience yet, with actionable guidance and coaching to help you achieve your health and fitness goals. Premium leverages insights from 10+ years of Fitbit data as well as academic and medical expertise to help you move more, sleep better and eat well with customised programs, advanced sleep features, personal insights, hundreds of workouts, new challenges, health reports and more – all in one place and made just for you.[xxvi] A 90 day free trial of Fitbit Premium will be available on the Versa 2.
Additionally, Fitbit announced Fitbit Aria Air, an affordable Bluetooth smart scale. This will be available locally for a RRP of R1,099 at select retailers.