In order to combat the rising sophistication of security threats, a holistic approach to the different aspects of next-generation security remains critical for today’s business. This is according to Stefan van de Giessen, general manager: cyber security at value-added distributor Networks Unlimited Africa.
The term ‘next-generation’ describes products that have been developed using the latest technology, which are set to replace existing products. For example, next-generation firewalls typically feature advanced functions including application awareness, integrated intrusion prevention systems (IPS), enterprise firewall capabilities, identity awareness and the ability to use external intelligence sources.
Van de Giessen explains, “An effective IT security ecosystem involves the consolidation of tools, and intelligence and analytics should feature strongly in the technology deployed to protect the network. The use of cloud-based big data analytics needs to be used to analyse, understand and predict threats.
“It is also important to be aware of threats that may be lurking inside the network, as threat actors today are capable of remaining undetected within a network for extended periods of time before deploying their weapons of both system-compromise and/or intelligence theft. This gives rise to the need for a tool that provides visibility and is able to control the network after a breach, but is also capable of taking preventative measures in the first place.”
Therefore, says Van de Giessen, it’s critical for organisations to have a systematic and holistic security position. He notes that the vendor partners represented in the Networks Unlimited Africa security suite are chosen for their unique and complementary solutions. They include:
· Attivo Networks, a leader in deception for cybersecurity threat detection.
· Cofense, which provides intelligent phishing defence solutions that empower employees to be aware of phishing threats and report them, after which best-in-class incident response technologies are triggered to stop attacks faster and stay ahead of breaches.
· Carbon Black, which offers next-generation endpoint security solutions to help customers detect, prevent and respond to the most advanced cyberattacks, critical in today’s world of mobile devices and the Internet of Things.
· Fortinet, a global leader in broad, integrated and automated cybersecurity solutions.
· RSA, which offers consulting and technology solutions that empower firms by providing a holistic view of cybersecurity needs, to reduce risk and rapidly respond to incidents.
· Thales, which makes data safe in any environment, offering encryption of structured and unstructured data, at rest or in motion, and providing an organisation with the tools it needs to protect and manage its data, as well as meet the requirements of regulatory compliance.
“Next-generation security solutions offered by Networks Unlimited Africa include perimeter protection; antivirus and endpoint detection and response; deception, and data protection. Our passion for innovation, technology, people and business drives us to embrace the frontiers of new technology, and our partners are continuously updated to include the very latest thinking and best-of-breed offerings and solutions,” concludes Van de Giessen.